Friday, May 19, 2006

Damah Film Festival

Damah (dù mah’)[1] noun. 1. a metaphor that transforms. 2. an art form that starts with a commonly accepted way of looking at the world and adds a surprise or unexpected twist that results in a new perspective that inspires and transforms the viewer. 3. the merging of the known, the unknown and the transcendent. 4. similar to the storytelling form known as the parable.

Imagine 79 films 5 parties 8 workshops all on films which challenge the way we look at the world. I found out about The Damah Film Festival from someone at Urban Skye a couple of years ago who thought I would be interested. Since then I've picked up each of the videos from the past festivals and found myself in LA starting my new job this week. As far as locations, the Festival will kick off tonight at The Culver Studios near downtown Culver City. You may have never heard of the studios before, but it is the home of Citizen Kane, King Kong (the original), Rebecca (Alfred Hitchcock's first American film), and a little film called Gone With The Wind. If you aren't impressed with historical films, Armageddon, Contact, Stuart Little, Crazy in Alabama, and The Rock were also made at the site. If you still aren't impressed, Sony Pictures Entertainment is across the street with their studios and back lot stretching down the street with huge 30 foot tall posters for their big new movie "The Da Vinci Code" screaming down at you. Trust me, this is an impressive place for those of us who are into film.

The festival centers around 10 "Reels" each with it's own lineup of some of the 79 films in the festival. Each reel will be presented twice during the 2 days of the festival and the 8 workshops are scheduled to occur simultaneously in different areas. I hope to see at least 6 of the reels and participate in 4 of the workshops. With the Cannes festival also going on this weekend I doubt I'll see any real major studio executives, but you never know who's decided to stay closer to home. Tonight starts with Reel 9 at 7:00 and it's slate of 9 "Best of Fest" films. I'll let you know what I think once I get back to my hotel after the opening night party. Until later tonight.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home